Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Basia Bulat - Heart of My Own

Add Date - Jan 26, 2010
Artist - Basia Bulat
Album - Heart of My Own
Label - Rough Trade
Genre - Folk

I didn’t expect anything great from this album. Oh boy, I thought, another woman who thinks that because she plays guitar and travelled the mountains, she is worth listening to. But from the first track, the expected cringe did not manifest itself. I was instead impressed by this modern day Joan Baez, with Feist’s tenderness and Florence(and the Machine)’s strength and energy. It is truly refreshing to hear a vocalist with actual talent. Bulat reels you in with the percussion of “Go On” (1), carries you forward with the energy of the strings in “Gold Rush” (4), and the mournfully sparse intro of “Heart of My Own” (5). Why yes, that is ukulele on track 6… and those are horns on 7… and autoharp on 9. I admire Bulat’s creativity and I am certainly a proponent of this excellent sophomore album.

No comments:

Post a Comment