Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Phantogram- Eyelid Movies

Add Date- Feb 9
Artist- Phantogram
Album- Eyelid Movies
Label- Barsuk
Genre- Trippy/Dancy pop


Bizarre pop music that somehow still makes me want to dance (and apparently it was recorded in a barn in upstate NY…wack). #4 is a sublime stunner full of layered hiphop beats and looped creepy vocals (Portishead on crack, if you will). Words are failing me right now (this cd eschews traditional genre classifications) but I suppose this is a slice of electronic-pop heaven in the same vein as Animal Collective’s “My Girls” but on ecstasy. Pulsing bass guitars keep the beat beneath ethereal male and female vocals and electronic blips. Tracks like #1 are more chilling and would appeal to fans of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! and the like. Not a single dud on this CD. If this album doesn’t hit the top ten lists at the end of the year I’ll be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment