Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Pantha du Prince - Black Noise

Add date: 2/9
Artist: Pantha du Prince
Album: Black Noise
Label: Rough Trade
Genre: Ps
ychedelic electro-acoustic

Although not as dancefloor-y as previous album This Bliss, Pantha du Prince is sure to please an audience of true lovers of psychedelic electro-acoustic music. To the untrained ear, the tracks all sound a bit similar, but in actuality this album consists of an interesting mesh of layered sound – ranging from typical electronic influences, to tribal-sounding instrumentation, accompanied by industrial noise and a sick bassline (provided by Tyler Pope of LCD Soundsystem) on 3 “The Splendour,” to outerspace-worthy sound + chimes on tracks like 7 and 8.

(And despite my love for Panda Bear, I have to give his featured track (4, “Stick It To My Side”) a non-thumbs-up. Not a thumbs down necessarily, but I really felt as though it sounded like a wack Fedde le Grande cover which got forgotten outside and rained on, possibly hit by a car as well.)

The bells n stuff draw my attention, but somehow the otherworldly sound doesn’t escape the feeling of “I’m listening to this in a basement right now.” I do approve of this album, but in general I expected a bit more of a mature sound from Pantha du Prince.

No comments:

Post a Comment