Monday, November 29, 2010

Royksopp - Senior

Artist - Royksopp
Album - Senior
Label - Astralwerks
Genre - Swedish chill melancholy electronica

I love this album because I love Royksopp, not because it is incredible. However, it is still quite good. If you enjoy melancholy Swedish electronic music, executed flawlessly, adding small unexpected details to their tracks in all the right places, knowing just how to tug at one’s heartstrings with just a melody, then this is for you. Vocals are absent on this album, an interestingly contrasting sequel to 2009’s poppy Junior, which featured, among others, Robyn and Karin Dreijer. That said, I might not appreciate Senior as much were it not for the prequel – for example, Tricky Two is a solid track on its own, but I may not appreciate it as much were it not for Tricky, arguably the catchiest tune on Junior. Notwithstanding, there are 100% new tracks which I love as well – Senior Living (4) and The Fear (7) contain the attention to tiny details I expect from this seasoned band. Part of me feels that this album is a creative plateau, but that does not make it bad. Listen and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment