Saturday, October 2, 2010

Concert Review- Elf Power w/ Ursa Major and a showing of "Major Organ and the Adding Machine"

Elf Power, Ursa Major and a showing of "Major Organ and the Adding Machine"
Friday September 24, 2010
Venue: Brillobox

Once again I'm at Brillobox going to a show for the opener and not the closer. The announcer framed the movie Major Organ and the Adding Machine as a "children’s movie". Bottom line, the movie was, well- to put it nicely- strange and confusing and by no means meant for kids. The whole time I couldn’t help but think at how unhappy a kid would be if he was to see this movie, due to the opening statements. [Ed note- this short film is about the mysterious Elephant 6 musical collective of the same name. it includes members of Neutral Milk Hotel, Elf Power, of Montreal, and Olivia Tremor Control.]

After the movie was over, Ursa Major took the stage. Ursa Major is a local band, several members of which had worked with 92.1 WPTS in the past. Also it is an interesting band to me because I have seen them early in their career and now presently, and the band has evolved in what I see as a positive manner. Back now from a road tour, Ursa was ready to play for the city where it all started and I feel they really delivered. The band has, in my opinion, moved from being a primarily folky band to more of an indie rock band that has folk influences. The music was catchy and fun and still had substance, and in addition to this the band had a good stage presence and energy. I found myself once again dancing with my friend as the music propelled us on.
After a strong set Ursa Major exited stage to make room for the headliner, Elf Power. I have never listened to Elf Power and the show did not really make me want to buy a CD; in fact, I found myself bored and waiting for the show to finish. Now, I should say that this is not normally the music I listen to- I don’t doubt that Elf Power makes good music, but what they played did not excite me or for that matter leave a real memorable mark. I feel guilty even commenting on their set, because I found myself not fully listening. Simply put the music didn’t do anything for me. I should also say though there was a decent sized crowd and there were people moving and an encore was requested and obliged. So, while it might not have been my cup of tea it was working for someone. All in all, I was happy with the night, especially when my bus came on time.

-Matthew James Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment