Saturday, October 2, 2010

Concert Review Pt 2- Holy Fuck and Indian Jewelry

Holy Fuck featuring Indian Jewelry and South Sea Sneak
Wednesday September 22, 2010
Venue: Brillobox

I am not always the biggest fan of going to a show, or for that matter doing anything in the middle of the week, I was willing to forgo a little sleep for the sake of seeing not Holy Fuck but instead Indian Jewelry. Admittedly it is a little strange to go to a show to see an opener, but for me they were the better known band. The venue began to crowd slightly before the first band, South Sea Sneaks, went on. I'd never heard of this local Pittsburgh band, and I was worried about this particular set due to the unusual appearance of the two band mates. After all, these guys were older, scruffier looking dudes (maybe a bit past their prime, is what came to my mind), but their looks were deceiving and they delivered an impressive opening set. Using a couple of unusual instruments, including one that the bassist said was a magnetic dildo, the band was able to create a really raw and refreshing sound that made one want to band their head a little bit.
By the time Indian Jewelry came on the venue was really beginning to fill up, and for good reason the next two sets were to be good ones. It is stated by some that Indian Jewelry puts on a "seizure inducing set", and they did not let this legend die that night. With a frenzy of strobe lights and human energy Indian Jewelry took stage and did their thing. Indian Jewelry is enjoyable to listen to on CD, but their live show brings a whole new dimension. There is something very raw, even tribal about the music that left me feeling connected to the music and ultimately much energized. To say the least I danced my way into the final set Holy Fuck.
At about 12 midnight the band finally began their set. The set lasted about 45 minutes and really demonstrated the diversity of Holy Fuck; moving the crowd to sway at some points, and at others to really move and dance. Now, I have never listened to much music from Holy Fuck, but this set did make me appreciate them more, as I got the chance to not only hear more of their music, but to also see it preformed. To see a band manipulating such an array of machines to produce such a riveting sound is not only impressive but also enjoyable. I was sad to have to leave a little early to catch my bus, but I definitely did not leave feeling like my money had been poorly spent. Indian Jewelry was everything I could have hoped for and more, Holy Fuck attracted a large crowd and gave them what they wanted and South Seas Sneak was a pleasant surprise.

-Matthew James Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment